Current MechBoard64 batch: 2018 Fall Batch (Batch Running)
This batch is now running. If you did not get a keyboard, don’t worry! There will be more batches made at a later time. At the bottom of this page are instructions on how to enter the non-binding pre-order list for future batches.
This is the current batch of the mechanical keyboard for the Commodore 64 – the MechBoard64. Further details on what each keyboard is bundled with can be found on the main page of the MechBoard64 (link). Further details and heaps of images of the keyboard can be found here (link). The installation manual can be found here (link).
- November 6th 2018: Last night, the brackets passed visual inspection and all dimensions are well within specification. The brackets are now going into production. To increase the strength of the bracket surface even further, the aluminum will be powder coated instead of anodized. I expect the brackets to arrive within 2-3 weeks from now.
- October 26th 2018: The received aluminum brackets did not pass QA! The manufacturer made a huge mistake with the bending part and the brackets need to be re-done 🙁 I’m therefore working with a different manufacturing company that takes their customers drawings very serious. They will run a test sample of the brackets which I will approve before moving on to mass production. This should eliminate any mistakes in the final product. I expect the new brackets to land on my doorstep in about 3-4 weeks from now. Thus, I’m still optimistic in regards to having shipped out all keyboards before Christmas as promised 😉
- October 22nd 2018: Switches received today along with the aluminum brackets. The assembly of the keyboards has begun.
- October 18th 2018: Received heaps of packets with parts today. Brackets were shipped yesterday and I expect them to arrive early next week. All I need is the switches to start the assembly of keyboards.
- October 16th 2018: Received the black PCB’s and they look awesome!
- October 12th 2018: Final QA checks completed with the PCB factory. Prints are now being produced and expected to be shipped next Friday.
- October 11th 2018: All 3D printed adapters were received toady along with a heap of ribbon cables and plastic spacers
- September 30th 2018: The PCB company expects to ship in about 3 weeks from now. The same holds true for the company which is doing the laser cutting, bending and anodizing the brackets. The microswitches should arrive within the next 2 weeks or so. All other parts are already in stock. So everything seems to be right on track in regards to the shipping date stated below
- September 24th 2018: More than 92% of the batch has been paid for and the keyboard production has commenced. All parts have been ordered and I’m now waiting for parts to arrive within the next 3-4 weeks. All orders are expected to be shipped out no later than December 17th 2018. Thus, everyone should have their keyboards before Christmas 🙂
- September 20th 2018: Please note that there may be issues with the amount in the PayPal link. I have sent emails to those affected. Sorry for the inconvenience
- September 20th 2018: Confirmation emails sent to everyone on the pre-order list
- September 20th 2018: Non-binding pre-order list is full. Confirmation emails with payment instructions will be send out shortly. Currently all pre-orders can be fulfilled
- September 18th 2018: Non-binding pre-order email list open
The price for a MechBoard64 is 155 Euro + 16 Euro for tracked shipping worldwide.
It is possible to order more than one keyboard. Up to two keyboards can be shipped for the same shipping price (16 Euro). If you need more keyboards, I will calculate the total shipping cost when sending out the confirmation emails.
If you have a long board (e.g. Assy 250425 or Assy 250466) in a C64C slim case (link) you will need to order an extension cable for 5 Euros.
I offer Cherry Locking switches as an alternative to the Shift Lock circuit with the LED. The price for a pre-installed Cherry Locking switch is 13 Euro.
If you want to use your own microswitches (Cherry mx styled switches) you can order the keyboard ‘switchless’ at a reduced price (-15 Euro). The price for the switchless version is 140 Euro.
Ordering Info If you are interested in buying one or more keyboards from this batch, you can sign up to the non-binding pre-order list by sending me an email with ‘Please add me to the MechBoard64 2018 Fall Batch list + COLOR’ in the subject line. Replace the ‘COLOR’ with the type of Gateron microswitch type you would like. The options are: Gateron yellows (55 g linear), Gateron reds (45 g linear) and Gateron blues (55 g clicky). The Gateron yellows resemble the original C64 keys the best in my opinion. If you want to add your own microswitches, simply replace ‘COLOR’ with ‘SWITCHLESS’. If you want to add a Cherry Locking switch and/or the extension cable to your order, simply add ‘+CHERRY’ and/or ‘+CABLE’ in the header.
A batch takes 10-12 weeks to produce. Updates on the batch will be posted on top of this page.
I Missed Out – can I still get a Keyboard?
If you did not get a keyboard from this current batch, don’t worry! There will be more batches made at a later time. If you want to be added to the next non-binding pre-order list you can send me an email (here). The email will simply add you to the next pre-order list and is a way to give me an idea of what size the next batch should be. By signing up, you will enter the list in the order in which your email came in. I will respond to the email when the next batch opens with instructions on how to chose swithces, extension cables etc. Future batches will also be announced here (link).
UPDATE: The non-binding pre-order list for the next batch has already been filled. It is therefore not possible to be added to the list at this time. When the next batch runs, the pre-order list will be re-opened and it will again be possible to enter the list for a future batch. I apologize for the inconvenience.
© breadbox64.com 2018